Are you someone who works for a wine or spirit-related job? Do you serve or sell wine and spirits? Or maybe you are someone who is simply interested in enhancing your wine knowledge?
Working for a wine business, I know that it can be quite tough when you have no basic knowledge of wine. Luckily, I am working directly with a sommelier (that’s wine expert in layman’s terms) that knows wines inside and out. His generosity in sharing information has helped me in getting through a challenging start.
I’ve also attended some casual wine classes to learn a bit more about this very diverse and interesting industry. But then again, if you really want to learn serious, deep matters about wine, I believe that you need to go beyond informal classes to really dig down the subject.
In Malaysia, there are only a handful of sommeliers around. They are mostly working in hotels and restaurants but there aren’t many of them. And although this industry is still very small, I think that it has a good potential and the demand for wine experts will rise in the next years to come. Malaysia is a food haven of various cultures and techniques, with people who are big foodies and are willing to travel so far for good food. And the more people who enjoy food, the more chances of people exploring the exquisite delight of food enjoyed with wine or vice versa.
Taste of character
The perfect fusion of wine with food emits magic to any dining experience. Learn this charm effortlessly with the necessary knowledge, technique and skills regardless if you’re an enthusiast, beginner or professional in the hospitality food and beverage industry.
Taylor’s School of Hospitality, Tourism and Culinary Arts is well known in the industry for offering highly sought after professional wine training programme. Specifically designed for working adults to further develop their wine knowledge skills. This programme is highly recommended for staffs who sell and serve wine, and to anyone who wishes to enhance their wine knowledge. At the end of the programme, you will master the classifications of wine, match it with the perfect cuisine, recommend the finest drink, improve on wine selling skills and serve wine skillfully.
• WSET® provides both part-time and full-time courses that will provide you with the foundation on how to select, evaluate, taste and serve wine and other alcoholic beverages.
• WSET® is based in London. It is the leading provider of World-Class Qualifications delivering informative and entertaining courses for the wine and spirit industry, and consumers worldwide.
• WSET® is the only wine and spirit education entity approved by the Qualifications & Curriculum Authority, the UK Government’s regulator for education.
• Over 17,000 candidates in 38 countries have sat for WSET® exams in 8 different languages.
WSET Level 2
Intermediate Certificate in Wine & Spirit
Provides an in-depth understanding of the principles of wine tasting and evaluation, as well as the nature, history and production of wines and spirits. Also covers basic guidance on appropriate selection, service and understanding of the broad range of alcoholic beverages. Ideal for those who wish to learn more about the subject and for people who want to upgrade their skills and competencies in the customer service and sales functions in the hospitality, wine retail and wholesale industry. After the completion of level 2, you are required to sit for an examination to receive a certification of international recognition from Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET®) upon passing.
At the end of the programme, you will be able to:
• Have an insight of grape growing and wine making
• Interpret the labels of the major alcoholic beverages of the world
• Give guidance on appropriate selection and service
• Know the principles of wine tasting and evaluation
• Give information on the characteristics of spirits and liqueurs and identify major international brands within each category
WSET Level 3
Advanced Certificate in Wine & Spirit
This programme is designed for working adults who want to further enhance their knowledge about wines and spirits. The Level 3 Advanced Certificate gives comprehensive coverage of wines and spirits, with an increased focus on tasting technique and of the application of the knowledge gained. After the completion of level 3, you are required to sit for an examination to receive a certification of international recognition from Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET®) upon passing.
You will have an opportunity to taste a vast selection of wines from major wine producing countries, such as Germany, France, Chile, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Spain, Portugal, Argentina, South Africa and UK.
At the end of the programme, you will be able to:
• Explain the key factors influencing the production of the principal wines and spirits of the world and how those factors influence the style, quality and price.
• Describe in detail the characteristics of the principal wines and spirits of the world.
• Use knowledge of the principal wines and spirits of the world to make recommendations to customers in a variety of situations.
• Apply the principles of food and wine matching to the key styles of wine available.
• By the use of the WSET® Systematic Approach to Tasting, produce tasting notes and use the information contained within them to identify the style, quality and price band of wines and spirits.
• Provide information for customers and staff on the health issues relating to wines and spirits.
• Provide information and advise for customers and staff on the correct storage and service of wines and spirits.
• Upon successful completion of the course, participants will receive a certificate awarded by Taylor’s University, School of Hospitality, Tourism and Culinary Arts.
• Upon passing the examination, participants will gain a certification from Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET®), UK.
• This programme is claimable from Human Resources Development Fund (HRDF).
Course fee includes study packs, notes and wines for tasting
WSET is suitable for:
- Employees who sell and serve wine
- Those who wish to upgrade their skills and competencies in customer service and sales functions in the hospitality, wine retail and wholesale industry
- Anyone who wishes to enhance their wine knowledge
9.00am – 5.00pm
Taylor’s University, Lakeside Campus
RM3,650 (Level 2), RM 5,000 (Level 3)
Interested? Call Taylor’s University – Centre for Continuing Professional Education at +60356295000 or visit http://www.taylors.edu.my
You can also download the WSET brochure here
Taylor’s University Lakeside Campus, No. 1 Jalan Taylor’s, 47500 Subang Jaya, Selangor
Tel. +603 56295000
Fax +603 56295001